Damn these were good! I am using an iPhone to take the pictures and the pictures do not do justice to the flavor of this meal.
Ingredients: (assume 1 romaine lettuce per person)
Bacon (2 slices per person)
Onion (1/4 cup per person)
Blue Cheese - crumbled
- Heat grill
- Dice bacon and onion, add to fry pan and cook over medium heat until the onion is browned and bacon slightly crunchy - set pan contents aside
3. Add about 1/3 cup balsamic to fry pan and heat over a medium heat - the vinegar will bubble and slowly thicken up. Do not overcook it as it turns into a taffy like substance.
4. Cut romaine lettuce in half and coat the inside with olive oil
5. Place lettuce on grill and monitor closely. Turn often and remove from grill when browned and outer leaves wilted.
6. Place two halves on a plate. Top the lettuce with bacon, onions and crumbles of blue cheese. Drizzle the reduced balsamic vinegar on top and enjoy.
On an interesting side note, my cross country truck driving friend Steve is starting the Primal diet. His challenge we be finding places to eat primal while on the road. I am going to work on simple meals that he can cook on the small propane grill he is adding to his gear. If you want to minimize your efforts, you could cook this meal all on the grill. Grill the bacon crunchy-set aside. Grill the onion by cutting it in rings, covering in olive oil (or butter) - set aside. Reduce the balsamic in a small cast iron pan over the grill or not reduce it at all.